This page has moved to a new address.

"Stiff peak is like, 'Aw heeeeeeeeeeey!'"

The Oven Wall: "Stiff peak is like, 'Aw heeeeeeeeeeey!'"

Monday, January 23, 2012

"Stiff peak is like, 'Aw heeeeeeeeeeey!'"

The tables have turned. Remember the first week when I was having all this fun making breads and Moozh was across the hall in his kitchen tourneeing his billionth carrot and verifying the 4cm by 2mm cut of his julienne? Well this week I have been making things I could make with my eyes closed. Muffins, quick breads, brownies.

Today, this is what Moozh made.

Those, y'all, are frogs legs. Uh yeah. FROGS LEGS! As a vegetarian (or as Moozh calls me, a 'broccoli-head'), there are raw cuts of meat that, I don't know, seem…excessive to me. Like tongue. The whole concept of having to pull the layer of taste buds off the the tongue (the tastebuds apparently feel like sandpaper Moozh tells me) is something that seems to have plunged off the ledge of all good reason. Would Jesus skin a tongue so he could eat it? Moozh and I will differ on this, but I think he would put his hands up and say, "No thanks, I'm good with bread and wine."

But these guys are just so little and cute. With massive hamstrings.


You can tell the guy on the far right was the short friend. I'm just amazed how much meat is on them. It's like when people say they eat squirrel, people who are close to me who I will not name. I just think you would frustrate yourself trying to catch one and then you would skin it only to find that the bulk is pretty much all fur.

Plated it looks very elegant though, no?


Looks less bizarre when it's nestled on wilted greens.



This was my contribution. Date squares and brownies. Boring. But we make madeleines tomorrow and at the end of the week we make Parisian macarons. THAT will be fun.  But I have eaten my fair share of date squares and brownies in my life. Growing up in the Prairies, especially connected with a small farming community, date squares are a mainstay at everything from Christmas to funerals to church functions. Brownies are similar though they have the bad rap of being more like a cookie. People can convince themselves that if they take the date square, it's really like having a granola bar. I think these people are unaware of how much sugar and butter are in date squares. And granola bars to be honest.

The brownies were nice and fudgey. I wish they had more of a dark chocolate bitterness to them. The best brownies I've ever had are the raw brownies at Cafe Bliss in Victoria, BC. It's so much like dark chocolate that you can't help but feel like you're eating a chocolate bar. And with raw hazelnuts and usually some dried cherries or dried cranberries, it's a great mixture of textures, tartness and chocolate.

The date squares could have had the brown sugar taken right out of them. Dates are naturally so sweet anyway and when they're simmered, they break apart and create that great caramel. Again, eating date squares just make me feel like I should be listening to an elderly person talk about their grandchild that's 'just about my age'. Or simply eating to try and regain feeling in my fingers after a long downhill tubing session.

Scroll up. LOOK AT THOSE FROGS LEGS. Comment on the weirdness. Eat something safe and internally discuss how much you wish you were the kind of person that could eat frogs legs. Repeat.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home